Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cidade grande part2

"We are out of gas dad!" I said.
"It's under control, don't worry about it" He replied smiling.
We had been driving around for 3 hours. Night was settling in Belo Horizonte. We drove while bars opened and park lights turned on revealing Christmas decoration. We drove in the stop and goes traffic dodging families walking to the parks and cabs bringing out the bohemia crowd.
I was in the back seat when I saw the red blink go on.
"We are out of gas dad..."I said
Joe looked at the meter and my dad, noticing Joe’s concern, smiled and waved
"No, no. Gas ok, ok" he gave Joe the thumbs up and laughed in a self agreeable way.
Dad decided to take us to Mirante, the peak of Belo Horizonte from where you can gaze the city night lights. We started heading up in large avenue. As the night fell I noticed girls standing on the side walk. Young and old, pretty and not so, dressed in a variety of colors standing around. I have always looked at prostitutes with respect. They usually ignore me.
And on a steep hill, with traffic behind us the car stopped.
For such a bad driver my dad actually managed to pull over. Next to 3 girls.
They were about to approach us, when they saw my sister and I in the back.
My dad, who had a puzzled look in his eye, said:
"damn, there is something wrong with the car"
"You are out of gas!” my sister and I yelled.
"No, no. There is something else wrong" my dad replied.
He was so convincing I was almost buying it.
Joe got in the chat:” It’s out of gas"
"No, no. Mari, tell Joe it's not gas" my dad replied.
"He is saying it's not the gas, Joe” I translated.
"Yeah it is, you can hear it” Joe said
"Dad, Joe is saying it's the gas" I translated.
"What do we do now?” my sister asked.
"Ok, you and dad stay in the car, and I will go get gas with Joe. I have a cell phone so we will be ok. Wait here” I said getting out.
By this time the girls understood we were having car troubles.They had walked away.
As I left the car and told Joe "the plan" my sister got out of the car and shouted:
"Give me your bag!"
"No, I need the cell phone” I shouted back over the street noise.
"Give me the phone and the bag, you are going to get robbed" She insisted.
"No, I need the phone! I am taking my bag” I said
"Give me the bag! You are going to get mugged" She screamed
"It’s night and I need the phone! I am not going to give you my bag!" I screamed back.
The girls were looking at us annoyed. We were probably scaring away customers.
Joe was looking at us not understanding what we were shouting about in Portuguese. The girls stepped further from us, giving us side glances. And dad looked at the car, and looked at the road, he said:
"Get back in the car, I can U turn and we will cruise down till the gas station, we can get a mechanic to see what is wrong"
"Dad you are out of gas!!" we shouted turning to him.
So we get back in the car. Camila is pissed, I am pissed.
I tried to explain to Joe Camila wanted my cell phone. Then she shouted:
"I didn't want your cell phone stupid, I wanted you bag so you don't get robbed"
And my dad laughed while he reversed a 100 meters in a crowded street while drivers honked and undoubtedly insulted my dad’s mom.
We made it to the gas station. My sister and I were pissed, my dad puzzled by the car trouble.
They filled up the tank. And the car started. We were out of gas.
So my sister and I laughed:
"See dad, it was gas! we told you it was gas".
We forgot we were fighting and united in reprimanding my dad.
He laughed that same engorging smile and said:
"Tell Joe that I had everything checked out yesterday. The oil, the water. Everything but the gas".

No comments: