Friday, February 22, 2008

Love Story - continuation of Mari's bitching about the gender debate.

If you have read this blog - bless your heart - or hang out with me during the past weeks you know that I am going through a period of obsession about gender issues.
It's men and women are equal; we are all the same; nurture reinforces stereotypes bla bla bla. I know it's getting old.
While I cannot promise to stop bringing up this issue, I promise that after this blog I will acknowledge that I am a boring, and annoying ass hole for talking about it all the time. Deal?
In any case this blog entry is not about the issue itself. I have annoyed any available ears with my position. That we are the same, there is NO distinction between men and women. And that stereotypes - or as Justin and Fabi call them "roles"-are Bull.
This blog is about my undying love for Joe, and how every once in a while when I am starting to get really annoyed by his irrational hatred of John Stewart, his perpetual war against my books, and his resistance to anything that stimulates contemplation, he redeems himself.
He was watching ESPN and they were talking about Softball pitchers and how they can only throw about 80 miles per hour. Joe was laying on the couch and I was collecting candy rappers, empty juice cans and junk mail from the floor. I glanced at the T.V and commented:
"Is it because guys are stronger than girls?"
"Nah, if you trained a girl from the same age guys train to pitch a baseball they could probably do it too", he said not looking away from the T.V
Here I saw an opportunity. Mind you that Joe and I have NEVER talked about this subject and I saw a window to get his perspective.
I paused with garbage bag in hand and asked: "Do you think men and women are different? Like do you think there is a fundamental, natural difference in how we behave?"
Believe or not I actually held my breath.
What if he shared the views of everyone else?
I didn't have to hold my breath for long.
"No", he answered, still fixed on the screen.
I smiled in relief.
"Right? I knew I wasn't crazy! I have been talking about this gender nature, nurture issue forever and everyone things it's nature; and I think it's nurture. Don't you think it's the stereotypes that reinforce this so called "gender roles"?"
Then Joe looked at me and said: "Why do you think about this stuff?"
He looked back at the T.V and I put the trash bag down and walked over and laid by his side. I knew that this would not lead into a discussion but I smiling anyhow.

No comments: